Signs, Superstition in Thailand
The fact that the official religion of the Kingdom of Thailand is Buddhism, is known to every educated person. Almost all locals Buddhists. All significant events in the life of Thais (wedding, birth, funeral, birthdays, moving to a new house or apartment) is closely related to the Buddhist religious traditions and customs.
Buddhism in Thailand today - is not only a thorough search "in light of its own," according to the Buddha himself, but also various folk beliefs and rituals, is firmly bound to the pagan cult of the ancestors and spirits.
Signs, Superstition in Thailand:Let's dwell on those superstitions that accompany people in Thailand in everyday life. They were described in detail Rainer Krakow Book "These startling Thais." Modern people some superstitions may seem ridiculous and absurd, and some very familiar. In any case, it is genuine interest.
Consider a common household Thai superstition and compare them with Slavic.
Signs, Superstition in Thailand: Thai superstitions
• Thais believe that the meeting with the snake promises them trouble. Faced with a snake Thais quietly waiting for the snake upolzet and pretend that nothing bad happened. For local snake - a Russian analogue of a black cat ran across the road (the worst for the Russian people - to meet on Friday the thirteenth black cat, running with an empty bucket and break the mirror on the way).
• it is impossible to hammer nails into the floor. This may anger the spirits that cause abdominal pain. The ancient Slavs, by the way, is also inhabited by evil spirits in the cellar, but causes headaches.
• If after clipping a child with him constantly occur any troublesHence, the spirits are not allowed to shave her hair, and let grow. And if, for whatever reason, baby hair still need to shave, you need to cajole the spirits of many rituals and offerings and gifts. Thais believe that the viewing of feature films helps to appease the spirits. Our Nikita Dzhigurda shocking, apparently, forever cursed by evil spirits Thai. A legend of the ancient Slavs cropped hair had burned. If you do not, the mouse can drag the hair to the spirits of the cellar and a headache.
• the wedding can not break the dishes anyway unhappy marriage will end in divorce and accurately. On the contrary Slavic tradition for centuries dish at weddings beaten.
• who used to fall asleep in the newlyweds on their wedding night, before he dies.
• you can not cut your nails in the evening and at night, it makes a person evil.
• you can not throw garbage in the evening. It can bring poverty to the house. The Slavs exactly the same sign.
• a pregnant woman can not sit on the threshold. Because this increases the likelihood of severe birth. And so the birth was easy, the woman should climb under the belly of the elephant.
• Women with large breasts can cause the death of her husband. They are in Thailand called "devourer of men".
• children should not write under tall trees, shrubs, or near large ant hills. They live the spirits that might be angry and send children to disease. You can appease the spirits gifts and then the child will recover.
• You can not sign documents and write letters in red ink. Red - the color of blood, and writing in red, the man signed his death warrant. In Thailand, the ritual service in red write the name of the deceased in the tomb. Red can not write your address and email. The Slavs red with antiquity is considered an integral part of the wedding ceremony. A Russian teachers at all the red pen from the hands do not release.
• wedding day, older women, who have long lived in a happy marriage as a blessing beat young rug or doormat. Thais believe that by observing this ritual life newly spouse is happy and long. Slavic wedding ceremony involves the spreading of runners and mats to the young.
• the threshold it is necessary to cross. If you step on the threshold, spirits can get angry.
• Children can not praise, and call them beautiful, otherwise the spirits may envy and pick up the child.
• you can not look in the mirror at night. Through the Looking Glass evil spirits can look into our world as through a window.
• lunar eclipse is of particular importance to the Thais. They believe that during an eclipse the evil spirit tries to swallow the moon. In order to ward off the spirit, the Thais are noisy, loud shouting and banging around around.
• I can not praise the food at the table, otherwise the spirits will cause abdominal pain.
• You can not sleep head to the west. It can cause nightmares.
• Before the construction of a new home be sure to check out the Thai section of the presence of evil spirits by a sorcerer.
• leaves pomegranate guard house and expel evil spirits.
• Many plants can bring bad luck if growing in the wrong place. For example, trees that are planted near temples, not to sit at home.
• shooting star symbolizes the spirit that wants to be born again. If you see a falling star, we must not tell anyone.
• you can not start serious business on Wednesday. Even innocuous visit to the hairdresser or beauty salon can bring misfortune.
• the wife should always sleep alone on the left side of her husband. This superstition is quite logical explanation - if the family would be in danger, man must be able to react quickly and seize weapons, and for this his right hand should be free. The ancient Slavs there was a similar tradition.
Signs, Superstition in Thailand: List all household superstitions ThaiNot related to religion, it may take several hundred pages. Every day Thai Thai is trying to reach an agreement with the surrounding powerful unseen forces and get their location. The fear of the spirits of the locals are so strong that they are afraid of spirits, even in the movies. The Thai film industry a lot of movies about ghosts - "nangphi." The spirits are depicted in terrible shape and cause nightmares Thais. But, nevertheless, a film about ghosts are the most popular genre cinema in Thailand.
Signs, Superstition in Thailand:Thais believe that the spirits are everywhere. Most of the locals afraid of overnight stays in other people's houses and hotels. Almost every house has a special little house for the spirits (san phrap-hum), who lived here before the construction of a house. Houses for spirits there is even a near shops and banks, which clearly shows how deeply superstitious Thais entered the life and intertwined with modernity. To attract good forces to their side Thais have spared no money, no time or energy.